Maximise your tax return from $99*
*Available at participating offices. Terms & Conditions apply.

Tax Return Amendments

By H&R Block 3 min read

Forget to include something in your tax return?

Did you forget to include something in your tax return, or did you not get the refund you were expecting? Don't worry. You typically have two years from the date of assessment to lodge an amendment. Take advantage of  H&R Block's Second Look ®  for free. Whether or not we prepared your tax return, we can assist you with an amendment. Call 13 23 25 today or find an office using our  office locator.

What do I do if I made a mistake?

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) recognises that there are times when you make mistakes. Life is busy, and there are so many things to remember, it's easy to make a simple mistake in your tax return. There are a number of common mistakes people make when filling out an income tax return, such as forgetting to include:

  • income such as interest from a bank account, or income from a previous job
  • tax offsets such as invalid and carer tax offset or zone offset
  • tax deductions  such as motor vehicle, or rental property expenses
  • income from sources such as trusts, investments, and capital gains
  • additional information relating to the Medicare levy or Medicare levy surcharge

Why is it important that I advise the ATO?

There are many reasons why you may need to make an income tax return amendment to a tax return. This is called lodging an amendment. The ATO know there will be times you will need to make a change because your circumstances have changed, and some people who did not reveal all their income or incorrectly claimed deductions will want to get their tax affairs in order. Telling the tax office allows you to bring your tax affairs into order and making a voluntary disclosure will limit any penalties that they may apply. The important thing is that as soon as you realise the information you have reported to them is no longer accurate, you act to correct it.

What do I do if I disagree with a tax assessment?

There may also be times when you disagree with a tax assessment, a penalty, an interest charge on an unpaid debt or some other decision the tax office have made about your tax affairs, including a private ruling. Bring in a print out of your current and/or past years tax return(s) for a  Second Look ®  Review by an H&R Block Tax Accountant.  Find an office near you  and book an appointment online or call 13 23 25.

Book an online appointment today

Related Articles

Saving money can be challenging especially with low income, but read the 11 ways you can make it ...
12 min read
6 min read
H&R Block and Ahm have formed a partnership to provide discounted tax services and specialist...
2 min read
Most Aussies will get larger tax refunds this year thanks to backdated tax cuts. Find out how muc...
6 min read