If you are a U.S. citizen living in Australia, you must file two returns each year:

  • You must file an Australian return because you live here.
  • You must file a U.S. return because you are a U.S. citizen. As an American citizen, you must file U.S. Form 1040 every year, reporting your worldwide income.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to pay taxes to both countries. There are several mechanisms available that may prevent you from being double taxed.
At H&R Block, we understand the tax complexities of U.S. citizens living abroad.

We have a dedicated team of CPAs, Enrolled Agents, tax attorneys and former IRS agents who can handle everything from simple to even the most complicated tax returns. We have two convenient ways you can work with us - either face-to-face in our Castlereagh Street office, or from anywhere in the world through our secure remote services. Simply upload your documents, and let our professionals handle the rest.

Either way, no matter how simple or complex your taxes are, we'll ensure you minimise your tax situation and meet all IRS requirements. Don't leave your expat taxes to just anyone. H&R Block, the trusted name in tax preparation has the expertise you need.

Need help?

You can contact our U.S. team at Suite 128, Level 8, 267 Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000 via  email  or call  (02) 8236 2500