Tax will always be a part of life. This fact makes it a reliable industry to break into. If you have ever thought of expanding your career or establishing a side hustle for some extra income, you should consider enrolling in an industry recognised tax consultancy course.
Individuals and companies will always need a tax professional's help to file their taxes accurately. Discover how tax courses can lead you directly into eight promising careers.
Why there is there a demand for tax consultants?
Tax affects every person and business in society. Everyone either wants to reduce the amount of tax they pay or maximise their tax refund. Everybody also wishes that someone could take care of all the paperwork. This is where you come in.
As a tax consultant with H&R Block, you will work with clients to prepare their tax returns and get the best outcome for the client, within the law. Here are some of the specific tasks you could ultimately help clients with as an experienced tax consultant:
- Gathering information needed for their tax return
- Completing, lodging or checking over their tax return
- Calculating how much tax they might need to pay
- Explaining a client's options to ensure they don't overpay tax
- Negotiating with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) on your client's behalf
- Helping them understand the tax laws and regulations that are relevant to their situation
The top five benefits of working as tax consultant
Choosing a career as a tax consultant can be more rewarding than you might think. Consider these five ways in which a career in tax could improve your working life:
- Regular career progression opportunities
Every new client you work with presents an opportunity to learn and achieve a unique successful outcome.
- Complementary career choice to your existing qualities
If you pride yourself on being good with people, numbers and problem solving, a career in tax will be a natural fit for the skills you already possess.
- Never ending learning process
Tax applies to every industry and tax laws can change every year. There will always be something for you to learn and ways to expand your capabilities.
- Constant new and interesting challenges
It's unlikely you will ever feel like you are doing the same thing every day.
Each client you work with will be unique. Their problems or tax questions may seem similar to another client but depending on their background, intentions and desires they will need a unique and customised plan from you.
- A side hustle as a stay at home mum, student or retired professional
If you are looking for a change of pace, an extra challenge or way to make some money on the side of another career or life role, completing a tax course can land you a flexible, people-facing role with H&R Block or other large tax preparation firm.
8 key skills for a successful tax career
Before you launch into a career in tax, it's a good idea to make sure you have these eight key skills to support you in your future role:
- Friendly communication and people skills
- Proficient numerical skills
- Focused analytical skills
- A good attention to detail
- Eagerness to problem solve
- Professional reporting skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Efficient time management skills
Your next steps
Now that you're ready, take the first step towards a rewarding career as a professional tax consultant with Australia's leading Income Tax Course with H&R Block.
On completion you will have all the skills you need to successfully prepare tax returns and confidently educate your clients on the smartest way to complete their tax return in compliance with the latest income tax laws.
Enroll today. Registrations for our 2023 course opens soon. The H&R Block course includes on-line modules and tutorials to be completed in your own time as well as a two and a half hour in-class workshop each week. All materials and software are provided.
Book an online appointment today
Our H&R Block accountants are now working online. Book an appointment with an expert.