So, you’re earning some extra income from Airtasker. Congratulations! Spend it wisely – and don’t forget the taxman. Here at H&R Block we help lots of customers who work in the sharing economy. It’s essential to get your taxes right and we can help.


Yes you do.

Each year, you probably earn money from a number of sources, of which Airtasker might be one. Others might include income from employment, income from other businesses you run and investment income from things like bank interest, share dividends or rental income from property. All of this income is taxable. So, you need to keep a record of all the tasks you do using Airtasker and the amounts you earn from those tasks. That income needs to be disclosed as business income on your tax return. You need to record the gross amount that customers pay you, not the net amount you receive after Airtasker has taken out its fees/charges.


The good news is, yes you can. Any expenses which you incur in generating your Airtasker income are deductible.

Here are some examples of what you could be looking to deduct.

Capital assets required for your business

You can claim an instant tax deduction for all capital assets acquired for use in your business with a cost of $20,000 or less. This relief is available until 30 June 2017. This is great for purchasing items like computers, phones, tablets, tools and even some motor vehicles.

Deductions can be claimed for the business use proportion of the following:

  • commissions or fees paid to Airtasker
  • costs of traveling to and from an Airtasker job and between jobs including:
    • Parking
    • Fuel
    • Public Transport
    • Flights and accommodation if the job is interstate
  • mobile phone bills
  • safety equipment (such as hi-vis vests)
  • work-related clothing such as overalls and workboots
  • sunglasses if you work outside
  • insurance
  • tax agent/accountants fee
  • bank fees (if you maintain a separate account for your business)
  • Costs of running a home office if your business is operated from home

Deductions cannot be claimed for:

  • fines (parking, speeding, etc)
  • clothing other than safety clothing
  • meals, drinks, etc purchased whilst on the job

Can I claim car expenses?

Yes you can if you use your car as part of your Airtasker business. There are two ways to claim a deduction for business use of your car:

Cents per kilometre

Claim 66c per kilometre. This method is only available for distances up to 5,000km. You can’t use it if you cover more than 5,000 business km’s. This method incorporates all car expenses including petrol, servicing, depreciation, etc. You can make no further claim.


Your claim is based on the business use percentage of each car expense, which is determined by a log book that must have been kept for a minimum 12 week period. This log book must be updated every 5 years. You can claim all expenses that relate to the operation of the car, at your percentage of business use, as established from your logbook.

In order to claim a deduction, you must be able to prove that you spent the money and that the purchase relates to your business, so remember to keep invoices, receipts, bank statements and logbooks.

Do I need an ABN?

If you are an Airtasker worker, you are in business as a self employed person. You aren’t employed by Airtasker. That means you must have an ABN. H&R Block can help you get an ABN.


If your income exceeds your expenses, the surplus is added to your other taxable income and you pay tax on it. If your expenses exceed your income, the loss is available to offset against your other taxable income. If you have no other taxable income, the loss is carried forward.


In your income tax return. This needs to be submitted by 31 October if you do your tax return yourself. If you use a tax agent like H&R Block, you have an extended period to lodge which could run as late as 15 May the following year.


The ATO has been keeping a close eye on people earning income from shared economy services like Airtasker. It’s essential that you fully and accurately disclose all your Airtasker income (and expenses). If you don’t, you could find yourself being audited by the ATO. They will charge interest and penalties on any unpaid or underpaid tax.

Book an appointment with H&R Block

Find your nearest H&R Block office and book an appointment to have your tax done.


Updated: February 2017

Find your nearest office

H&R Block can help you with your tax return. Use our office locator and find your nearest office.

Find an office

Find your nearest office

H&R Block can help you with your tax return. Use our office locator and find your nearest office.

Find an office